Sunday, May 20, 2012

Dump Day!

On the Monday after Mother's Day, the cafeteria had their version of chicken and dumplings as one of the choices, and it was the most appetizing, so I went with it. The chicken they use is their cubed up chicken breast that they use in a lot of stuff, and the dumplings themselves are similar to what you'd get in canned dumplings. Which doesn't sound too appetizing, but the broth that they do it in does wonders for it. The chicken is really good and the dumplings are on the upper side of OK. They don't hold a candle to Cracker Barrel's, mine, let alone Mom's or my Aunt's. But not bad for a quick lunch:


As you can see, I went with the omnipresent mashed potatoes and gravy for the side dish. Unfortunately, the potatoes were pretty much unseasoned at all, and even their outstanding gravy could hardly make up for it.

I had planned on doing something stupid for dinner (homemade shrimp fried rice) but luckily Mom called and invited me to stop in for dinner. She had made.... chicken and dumplings. So, I said sure, beat what I was going to try. She called back a little bit later and said to not worry about stopping in, they were horrible. Knowing how bad some cooks can be on themselves, I assured her I was sure they couldn't be horrible, and I'd still be stopping by.

Unfortunately, she wasn't too far off the mark. While they weren't horrible, they weren't good. They were edible however, so I ate some, and a baked chicken breast. Which (much like the next handful of posts) I forgot to get a picture of.

No comments:

Post a Comment