Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Catchup!

No, not as in ketchup or catsup. Catch up.

Sunday, I noticed an incisor was starting to get a hair sensitive. As Monday went on about its business, the tooth didn't get much more sensitive, but the gum above it did. As I was irritable and not in the mood for anything that would tax having to take a frontal bite, I decided to try my hand at fried rice, again. The last time I tried this was ... well last century. One doesn't get make time references like that often, so I take great joy in getting to use it. It was probably in '99 that I last tried to make fried rice. Seeing as it was that long ago, I hope you can infer how well it went.

Luckily, this time went much better. The one problem I had this time was very similar to what went wrong last time, except kind of opposite. I discovered, after this attempt, that what went wrong last time was that I had overcooked the rice before trying to fry it up. This time, it was mostly under cooked. Last time I tried some kind of usual boil rice or something like that and it was just horrible. This time, I used my roommate's rice cooker. It did a fine job, I place the blame solely on me not  adding enough water to the contraption. But the rice was cooked enough for me to attempt frying it up:


I used a bit of olive oil, jasmine rice, salt, pepper, parkay, garlic salt,soy sauce, and a scrambled egg. It came out looking very similar to what it was in the skillet:


And it tasted a lot better than I had expected. Other than the under cooked crunchy kernels, it was really good, I somehow nailed a good combination of seasonings in my rookie attempt. Next time though, I'll make sure there's enough water so the rice is fully cooked, so I can eat it all.

I took a hydrocodone around 11, feel asleep around 2, then the tooth woke me back up at 5:30, so I took another pill. These pills happen to be left over from the last abscessed tooth I had (oh yeah, spoiler alert). Once I got up on Tuesday, I called the dentist, they got me in and yes it was abscessed. Had the first part of the root canal yesterday. It went pretty well, except for when he had to deaden the nerve. In order to do that, he had to pretty much jab the needle right into it. Luckily, it was worth it, by 1pm my mouth didn't hurt anymore and I ate at Genghis Grill around 5:15 for a combined breakfast lunch and dinner.


This is a bunch of chicken, a little bit of pork and some steak with some squash, bean sprouts and a few chucnks of potato with their udon noodles and a combination of 3 different sauces. It was tasty, not the best concoction I've had from their, but far from the worst.

And that brings us to today. I stayed home today, my throat got irritated, as did my sinuses. I'm not sure if it's fall out from the gunk getting released in the root canal or the drastic weather change we've had here, but either way I felt like crap for most of the day. So, I finally got around to making another batch of chicken dumpling soup. And this one was better than the last.


Andrew had a bowl of it also, once he got home and he loved it.

No comments:

Post a Comment