Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Gator bait

A few years ago, my sister and I went down to the Destin, Florida area. One of the larger touristy restaurants in that neck of the woods is Fudpucker's. While there, I decided to try their fried alligator appetizer. And I made my sister try it, since she insisted we go there.

I have had alligator before, and found it wonderful. But when I first tried it, it was wrapped in bacon, grilled and basted in barbecue sauce (much like I've had shrimp done before, minus the bbq). It was outstanding, and I told the gentleman that brought it as much. So, here it is, the second time to try alligator and in a totally different cooking style.


It was pretty good, but I thought they should've tried to dry it out a little more before bringing it out. It was still very oily, but tasty. Leigha agreed, although I think she liked it better than I did. If I hadn't had that outstanding bacon wrapped and grilled version first, I'm sure I would've enjoyed this more.

For those that haven't tried alligator, I would say it's like a cross between chicken and shrimp. Tastes more chicken like, but has more of a shrimp texture. If you like either chicken or shrimp (especially both) then you owe it to yourself to try it out at some point in your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment