Sunday, April 15, 2012

A night out

Saturday night's dinner was a night out at the Kooky Canuk. It's a Canadian themed restaurant in Downtown Memphis. It was featured on Man vs. Food (for a huge hamburger challenge) when it was under another name, I think the Bigfoot Lodge. Apparently there was another place that had that name, they sued and the Memphis location lost. Now they're the Kooky Canuk. We hit this place up in celebration of Kim's birthday, which was earlier this week. And, for this post, I'll have a couple of things that weren't technically on my plate, but were close enough and impressive enough, to be included.

First up, Dave's root beer float:


He said it was pretty good. You're not really getting the full effect, so I want you to realize that mug is HUGE.

Next up were some appetizers. I went with the standard mozzarella cheese sticks, here they're called Cheese Logs:

 
They were pretty good, cheese had a good flavor, wasn't too hot or cold, but the breading was a bit salty. And that red sauce isn't marinara, it's actually a "strawberry jalapeno bbq sauce". It was a bit warm for my tastes, but Kevin said it had a really good flavor behind that heat. I usually have my cheese sticks with either marinara or honey mustard, the latter of which the waiter was kind enough to provide.

Dave's appetizer was the poutine. For those not "in the know" this Canadian ... delicacy... is a plate of french fries, doused in cheese curds and gravy (although less authentic versions will just have cheese drizzled over them ala cheese fries and then pour gravy over that).


As I'm super picky about my cheese intake, I skipped the curds and just went with gravy drenched french fries. I'm happy to report, it's as tasty as I had hoped, but this dish ultimately hinges on the gravy. If it's not good, or rather, to your taste, then no fry on the planet can save it. Luckily, I really liked the gravy they used.

And for the main dish, I went with one of their burgers. I had them add some bacon to it, then added ketchup. Yep, only thing I like on my burgers is ketchup, and sometimes (ok, usually) bacon.


Pretty good burger, not the best I've had, but more than serviceable. I couldn't eat it all, after the appetizers and 2 glasses of sweet tea, but I got through about 3/4 of it, and maybe 1/4 of the fries.

1 comment:

  1. I don't know Andy, according the Canadians we mutually know - the dish hinges on the cheese curds, not the gravy. Just sayin'.

    ReplyDelete